That daily struggle

I can remember a time after graduating when I felt so stressed about my future because I had NO clue what I wanted to do with my life. I was out of high school, working and had no intention (at that point) of going back to school. I felt pretty lost, and out of sorts. 
I went to Fernie B.C. for a few weeks to visit my Auntie and Uncle and I vividly recall going for a walk with my Auntie and her telling me how many times the average adult changes careers in their lifetime (5-7 times), she gently reassured me not to stress about being unsure of my path because whatever I decided wouldn't be forever. I found it hard to believe that a person could be that indecisive about their own life, but what did I know....I was 18.

Fast forward 12 years.

I am a 30 year old woman who has a full time job that I feel I have worked very hard to achieve. I wouldn't even call it a job....its really a career. Its rewarding, challenging, and worthwhile work that I do. I started at the bottom (at 19) and worked my way to a management position in with an organization that's in alignment with what I believe is good for people. I've been at it for 11 years now.

So why do I feel so disconnected from my work, and self at times? Could it be that my Auntie was correct? Could it mean that I'm feeling that desire to grow, and learn new skills? For me, its a little bit scary to think about because I'm so comfortable what I'm doing and because Im good at what I do its hard to think about starting all over again. 

I suppose the best thing to do right now is listen to her sound advice once again and not stress too much about my future because it will inevitably change with time. 




Comments

Popular Posts