Birthday Bumps....

Tomorrow is my husbands birthday....he's almost 40. (He almost kills me every time I say that because he's only turning 36. I like to get a rise out of him)

I went shopping this afternoon for his birthday gift, I had no idea what I was going to buy him. I find it extremely difficult to buy this man a present; mostly because I think he already has everything he needs in this world. I ended up grabbing a coffee and perusing through a books store. I love books. I love words. I wish I was better at stringing words together to create beautiful sentences that flow with ease, and grace. Practise makes perfect I suppose.
 As I was walking the aisles of bookshelves trying to determine what I was going to purchase for my lovely husband, my mind started to wander onto other things...well, kind of. I started thinking about what my life might be life if I hadn't made some of the choices I did leading up until that very moment. One moment in time stands out in particular.

It was fall. September to be precise, as it was around my birthday. Over the summer months I has started spending time with a guy who worked at the same organization as me. We would grab food, have drinks, we met at the beach one time and he played ball with his friends dog. We had a good time together. He made me laugh, but I wasn't quite sure what his story was. We had known one another for a long time because we worked together, but beyond that I didn't know him at all. The more I spent time with him, the more I started to feel butterflies when he would text me to ask what I was doing. At the time I was living with my roomie, Maves (the best roomie a girl could ask for) who I thought for sure knew there had to be something happening between us because he and I were spending more and more time together, but she never asked so I never brought it up either. My 27th birthday has got to be hands down one of my favorites to date. We (my girlfriends and I) rented a limo, went for dinner at a Greek restaurant , cruised around for a bit and went out dancing. On our cruise around town we picked up 'that guy' and his friend. Later that week, he and I went for drinks at a pub close to his place. As usual we had a great time. I drove him home, and when I parked my truck to say goodnight he abruptly asked me "So...Are we going to talk about what's going on here, or are we going to continue to be friends and pretend like nothings going on?"
My heart was racing because I knew exactly what he was talking about, but of course I acted like I didn't because who likes to be vulnerable? NOT ME! I instantly curled up into a ball in my truck seat and closed myself off. He asked me to come inside to talk and I was pretty hesitant. I was hesitant for a number of reasons, a few of which I made very clear to him and he respected me completely. Once inside we put on some music, I sat in the rocker and he cleaned his fish tank...very thoroughly. He asked me questions about what I wanted in my future, and told me what he hoped for in his. I feel now that it's the most intimate conversation I have ever had with a man because of how vulnerable I allowed myself to be. I shared my hopes and dreams for the future with a person who I was really starting to have feelings for who could potentially reject me.

Fast forward two and a bit years later and I am looking for a birthday present for my husband, who I own a home with and we have started an amazing life together. The same man who I had that intimate conversation with. I am thankful every day that he asked me if we were going to 'talk about what was going on' because Lord knows I would have never brought it up.... and who knows where I would be now.

I am also thankful for limo rides, pub nights, fish tanks, glider chairs, and Kings of Leon.



Happy Birthday to my Love


<3

Comments

  1. I remember all that night like it was yesterday. I love you my sweet darling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts